About the Fellowship
Downtown Ventures has created a new artist fellowship for its flagship public art program, Art on the Streets.
Public art is an expression of a community’s spirit, pride, and ingenuity, enthralling and intriguing people of all ages and backgrounds while creating a sense of place and welcome. Art on the Streets, now in its 25th year, is regarded nationally for its high artistic caliber; artists are selected through a juried international call for entries. The program benefits the Pikes Peak Region by activating Colorado Springs’ urban core with sculptures, murals, and installations.
The Art on the Streets Fellowship program is designed to provide pathways to entry into public art for Pikes Peak region visual artists.
Over the course of the program, fellows will create an artwork for the 26th annual Art on the Streets while learning about public art and engaging in professional development.
Program benefits include:
- Introduction to developing work for the public realm
- Studio visits with Art on the Streets jurors
- Consultation with industry experts during concept development (architects, structural engineers, etc.)
- Opportunity to participate in 26th annual Art on the Streets
- $2,000 stipend (paid after installation of work, May 2023)
- Up to $3,500 to defray costs of fabricating the artwork
- Other support as appropriate to the project
November 2022–March 2023: Concepting and design development
April 2023: Artwork fabrication
May 2023: Artwork installation
June 2023: Public Art on the Streets launch
How to Apply
We are seeking visual artists who represent the diversity of voices in the Pikes Peak region and want to expand their artistic practice to public art. To apply, fill out the application linked below by Wednesday, November 8.
- Fellowship statement—written (max 2000 characters) or video (max 2 minutes)
- Artist statement—written (max 2000 characters) or video (max 2 minutes)
- Artist resume/CV
- Professional references
- Work samples (5-10)
Fellowship statement should address why you are interested in this program and what you hope to learn/experience.
You may apply for an Art on the Streets Fellowship if you are:
- 18 years or older
- A legal resident of the Pikes Peak region (El Paso or Teller counties of Colorado) for the duration of the program
- A visual artist who creates original work
- An artist without significant experience in public art
If you are unsure whether you are eligible, please contact us at info@DowntownCS.com.
Up to two fellowships may be awarded. Final award decisions will be announced in November 2023.
The Art on the Streets Fellowship is sponsored by Arts Vision Grants of the Fund for the Arts and the Bee Vradenburg Foundation.